The island of Icaria belongs to a group of islands in the Eastern
Aegean Sea, which includes
Samos to the east, Mykonos to the west, Chios to the north and the sacred island
of Patmos to the south. Its distance from Piraeus,
the port of Athens, is 140 nautical
Icaria is an oblong about 21 miles long by three of five miles wide.
The Atheras (ancient Pramnos)
mountains range from 600 to 1041 metres in height.
Icaria is rich in woodlands, and deep ravines carry torrents of water
into the sea, forming bays and inlets. These natural beauties are surrounded by
golden sand, making the coast ideal for bathing.
The island has a wonderful climate, which together with its internationally
known natural hot springs make it ideal for a holiday. THE NAME: In ancient times the island was called
Makris, Dolichi, or Ichthiossa.
The present name originated with the legend of Icarus,
the young son of Daedalos who was a famous craftsman held captive by King Minos
According to the myth, they flew secretly from Crete
heading for Athens. But Daedalos
had constructed their wings from wax and feathers, and when Icarus, overcome by
the beauty he could see over the mountain peaks of Icaria, forgot his father’s
warnings he fell too close to the sun. The heat melted his wings and he plunged
into the sea and drowned. His sorrowing father buried his body on the island and
named it after him.
(text: MOUGIANNIS DIMITRIOS)
This text (extract) is cited July 2003 from the Municipality
of Agios Kirikos tourist pamphlet.