EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed  100 (total found 320)  sub titles with search on: Places of worship
for wider area of: "PELOPONISSOS , Region , GREECE " .
Places of worship (320)
   Cathedrals (7)
   Churches (138)
   Country churches (13)
   Monasteries (162)

Places of worship (320)

 Cathedrals

AGII ANARGYRI (Village) THERAPNES

Agii Anargyri
The village cathedral is the church of Agii Anargyri (St. Anargyri), whereas glorious is the cavernous church of Ai-Giannaki (St. John) in Poros, which has splendid hagiographies dating back to the 11th & 13th century.
Municipality of Therapnes WebPage
http://www.therapnai.gr/images/photo_naos_ag_anarg... (1 img.) English

FINIKI (Village) ASSOPOS

The Assumption of the Virgin Cathedral church
A church on the upper side of the square of Finiki dedicated to virgin Mary is also the Patron Saint, and celebrates on 15th August.
Municipality of Assopos WebPage
http://www.asopos.gr/ekklisiesUK4.htm (1 img.) English Greek

MYSTRAS (Byzantine settlement) PELOPONISSOS

St. Demetrios - The Metropolis
  As the visitor approaches he sees the east side of the church, built according to the enclosed brick system, characteristic of ecclesiastical architecture of the middle-Byzantine period.
  The three-storeyed bell-tower on the left - a heavy edifice like a Franklish tower - was built much later, during the 14th century, on top of a pre-existing side chapel, erected shortly after the church and incorporated within it. The original height of its roof may still be discerned from the two horizontal courses of porous stones.
  Proceeding a short distance one sees on the the right a stone with dark stains that suggest drops blood is protected by a grille on the exterior wall of the courtyard. This is traditionally believed to be the spot where Ananias Lambardis, Metropolitan bishop of Lacedaemonia, was executed my the Turks, because he was one of the instigators of the insurrection which ended, three years later, in the uprising of Orloff.
  Beyond it is another of the fountains commonly encountered at Mystra, followed by a gate which leads to the Metropolis. To the right, and at the end of the first paved court with the monumental stairway beyond the fountain a little vaulted stairway leads to the women's gallery from the exterior south side of the church. On the left wall of the landing, formed after the seventh step, the founder's inscription may be read. From it we learn that the church was founded by the Metropolitan Bishop Nicephorus in 1291-92. It reads as follows: "The humble Nicephorus, prelate of Crete, who has as collaborator his brother Aaron, erected this holy house of worship At the time of Andronicus Palaelogus, Who held the sceptre over the Romans, and of his son, Michael, May those who pass here beseech that they be forgiven their sins And found beside the flock on the right had of Christ When He appears at the Last Judgement".
  The original architectural plan of the Metropolis was that of a three-naved basilica. Later, probably in the 15th century, another storey, consisting of a women's gallery and a cruciform roof with five cupolas, was added above the interior frieze of the first storey. The church thus evolved into an architectural form which was to be repeated at the Aphentiko and the Pantanassa; a form which consists of a combination of the three-naved basilica on the ground floor and a cruciform church with five domes and a women's gallery on the upper storey. According to an inscription in relief on the level of the women's gallery, this transformation was the work of Mathew, Metropolitan Bishop of Lacedaemonia.
  The manner whereby the transformation of the shape of the roof was effected - and the reason for which is unknown - resulted the complete destruction of a series of frescoes depicting scenes from the life of Christ on the north side and in lopping off the upper part of others in the central nave. From top (women's gallery) to bottom the church retains its earliest iconography which, since the last cleaning in 1968, has recovered the brilliance of its colors and revealed fresh details now unconverted by the removal of murky deposits and some later frescoes.
  The apse of the sanctuary is dominated by the upright figure of the "Virgin Vrephocratousa". Eleven scenes from the martyrdom of St. Demetrios are depicted in the middle section (towards the sanctuary) of the vault of the north nave.
  The Miracles of Christ are represented on the rest of the vault. Three zones of paintings cover the entire wall space of this nave in the following order (top to bottom): saints within medallions; pairs of martyrs; full length military saints.
  On the opposite nave, in the vaulted section within the sanctuary which contains the Diaconicon, there is a grandiose composition depicting angels preparing the throne of Christ of the "Second Coming". In the remaining section of the nave scenes from the life of Christ and the Virgin extend as far as the bishop's wooden throne. Between this point and the narthex the vault is covered with a composition depicting the miracles of Christ which, in accordance with Byzantine tradition, follow one another chronologically, although represented in a single composition, as though depicting events that were occurring simultaneously and not successively.
  Between the sanctuary and narthex full-length figures, probably representing the Apostles: are reanged at a much lower level along the wall of the same nave. The walls the narthex are decorated with a depiction of the "Second Coming". Here all the walls and vaults are covered with representations related to this grandiose composition, at the center of which is the Preparation of the Throne which extends across half the vault, above the wooden entrance door.
  Angels with red wings stand around the throne; below them, on the arches which frame the opening of the door, two angels awaiting the arrival of Christ hold open Books of Judgement.
  The iconographic decoration of the Metropolis - the earliest monument in Mystra and especially rich in inscriptions - must have been executed between 1270 and 1285 and possesses little homogeneity of style. The variety furnished by different schools of painting nevertheless gives this church a special place in the history of Byzantine art, the painted decoration providing a kind of synopsis of earlier styles which foreshadow some of the best work of the Palaeologus renaissance.
  The decoration of the church is completed by the sculptures on the columns and "iconostatis" which consist of reused materials removed from elsewhere and consequently do not present any uniformity of style or epoch. The Double-Headed Eagle, the heraldic device of the Paleologus dynasty, is depicted in relief on a plaque on the pavement in center of the church. Polychrome marble fragments of the early pavement survive here and there. The subject-matter of the incised inscriptions on the columns consists of an inventory of the church's various buildings and dependencies.
 Fragmentary frescoes of prelates are visible on the exterior walls of the colonnaded court which recalls the architecture of the Renaissance. The Marmara sarcophagus is placed on the south side of the court. Immediately opposite is the Museum, the ground floor of which possesses a large collection of inscriptions, bas-reliefs, columnettes and capitals removed from various churches and mansions.
  Fragments of frescoes from ruined chapels, portative icons, jewelry, coins and a piece of Byzantine cloth found in the course of excavation are displayed in the second hall. The court, including its colonnades and the group of outhouses which now form the Museum, were built by the Metropolitan Bishop Ananias, who was executed outside the buildings by the Turks. The relevant inscription embedded in the wall of the second storey balcony of the Museum runs as follows: "The chambers and gates here are not ancient But built by Bishop Ananias Who has renewed them from their Bases, at a cost Paid from Dimitsana 1754".

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Laconian Professionals URL below, which contains images.

http://www.laconia.org/Mystra1_ST_demetrios.htm (2 img.) English

NAFPLIO (Town) PELOPONISSOS

Temple of Agios Georgios, 16th century

NEAPOLI (Small town) PELOPONISSOS

Agia Triada church
Other remarkable churches are those of Agios Nikolaos and Agios Nektarios.

PAPADIANIKA (Small town) ASSOPOS

Cathedral of St. Demetrius
The patron saint church of municipality, located in the central square of Papadianika.
Municipality of Assopos WebPage
http://www.asopos.gr/ekklisiesUK.htm (1 img.) English Greek

SKOURA (Village) THERAPNES

Agios Nikolaos (St Nikolaos)
The Patron Saint of the village is Agios Nikolaos (St Nikolaos). The construction of the church begun in 1888 and was inaugurated on the 26/12/1914 from the Bishop of Monembasias and Lakedaimonos Germanos, Trianos. It must be noted that the church contains intact the Sacred Table of a small church that stood in the same place before the foundation of Agios Nikolaos.
 Churches

AGIA SOFIA (Settlement) LEFKTRA

Agia Sofia
Mani.org WebPage
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/exomani/ekkl_exo_... (1 img.) Greek

AGIA TRIADA (Settlement) MIDEA

Church of the Dormition of the Virgin
  Domed, cross-in-square church of the composite four-column type, with a narthex and porches. The wall masonry is pseudo-isodomic in the lower section and "cloisonne" in the upper part. The facades are decorated with a variety of brick ornaments. The church was built on a stone crepis and dates to the end of the 12th or the 13th century. The interior is decorated with Byzantine wall paintings.
  There is no reference to the history of the monument, which is dated only on the basis of the excavation data and its architectural form. It was probably connected with the antiquarian archbishop of Corinth, William de Meerbeke. In 1691 it became the metochion (dependence) of the Monastery of St. Theodosios in Nauplion, and was given over by Morosini to the bishop of Rethymnon, Athanassios Chortatzis, who was in Peloponnesos at the time. The monastery must have been destroyed during the firing of Argos by the Turks in 1825. Today it is the cemeterial church of the village.
  Excavations carried out in 1989 and 1990 have brought to light the crypt under the sanctuary of the church, the stylobate of the the original iconostasis, and the graves inside the naos and the narthex, dated to the Late Byzantine period or to the Turkish occupation.
  The church was repaired twice, in 1855 and 1912. Restoration of the building as well as cleaning and revealing of the wall paintings is currently in progress.
  Several other important Byzantine monuments are preserved in the Argive plain:
•the monastery of Areia near Nauplion (1149),
•the church of the Dormition of the Virgin at Chonikas (early 12th century),
•the Transfiguration of Christ at Plataniti, and
•the Dormition of the Virgin at Argos (12th century).

AGORIANI (Village) PELANA

St. Nicholas at Agoriani
Tel: +30 27310 61301
  Cross-vaulted church belonging to the cemetery of the village. The east part ends in a semicircular apse while to the west a narthex was later added. A stone built ossuary has been added to the north of the church. The painted decoration of the interior is preserved almost intact and is the product of a fine provincial workshop, dated to the 14th century.
  The roof has been repaired in the past and the restoration of the wall paintings was recently completed. A project for the consolidation and protection of the monument has already been approved and is going to begin soon.
  Important monuments are preserved in the adjacent villages: St. George, the Holy Apostles (14th century) and the Dormition of the Virgin (15th century) at Longanicos. The parish church of the Nativity of the Virgin at Kastori has an impressive wooden carved templon (altar screen) and is decorated with remarkable paintings dated to the early 20th century.

ANO BOULARII (Village) ITYLO

Ai Stratigos at Boulari
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/dstrat/dran_aistr... (5 img.) Greek

ANO EPIDAVROS (Village) ARGOLIS

Saint Marina
  It is built in Ano Epidavros settlement, 4km away from Ancient Epidavros. Built on the ruins of a 7th-10th century Basilica, which also was built on top of an ancient temple that the ruins are still visible under the church.
The text (extract) is cited March 2004 from the Municipality of Epidavros tourist pamphlet.

ANO TRIKALA (Village) XYLOKASTRO

Church of St Dimitrios
  In Kato Trikala, the church of St Dimitrios, built in 1697, with its impressive impressionistic murals of the 18th century, is of special interest.
The text (extract) is cited January 2004 from the Municipality of Xylokastro pamphlet.
Church of St Nicolas
  In Ano Trikala is the church of St Nicolas, dating from the 19th century; it is the metropolis of the village, with beautiful murals and portable icons.
The text (extract) is cited January 2004 from the Municipality of Xylokastro pamphlet.

ARCHANGELOS (Settlement) ASSOPOS

Archangels
In this church, with its modulated surroundings, at the coastline county of the Archangel, a mass of palmers rush in to it, on 8th November, the celebration of the Archangel, as well as the day before. Other celebration feasts follow, throughout the county.
Municipality of Assopos WebPage
http://www.asopos.gr/ekklisiesUK3.htm (1 img.) English Greek

ASPROKAMBOS (Settlement) LOUTRAKI-PERACHORA

Church of Zoodohos Pigi
  This church dedicated to Our lady as “the fount of life”, is a single-aisled building with a pitched roof and can be found at Asprokampos near Perachora. Its walls are built with ancient materials, consisting of isodomic masonry.
Municipality of Loutraki Perachora WebPage
http://www.city-of-loutraki.gr/byzantine/zoodochos... English

ASSOPOS (Small town) LACONIA

Saint George
The church is built of stone in the central square of the municipal par. of Asopos with Byzantine style specifications, it was built before 1900.
Municipality of Assopos WebPage
http://www.asopos.gr/ekklisiesUK.htm (1 img.) English Greek
Panagia Gorgoepikoos
A picturesque Church on the East side of the County par, where, thousands of palmers are rushing in to, during the day of the celebration of its name and the day before (7th and 8th September). The Divine Service is followed by the traditional celebration feast in the village square
Municipality of Assopos WebPage
http://www.asopos.gr/ekklisiesUK.htm (1 img.) English Greek

CHAROUDA (Settlement) ITYLO

Taxiarchis Charoudas
http://www.laconia.org/grkversion/diros_tax_xaroud... Greek

CHELYDORI (Village) EVROSTINA

Agios Nikolaos
Municipality of Evrostina WebPage
http://www.evrostini.gr/gr/main/manicipal_region/h... Greek

CHRISTIANOUPOLI (Village) FILIATRA

Church of the Metamorphosis at Christianoi
Tel: +30 27610 33736
  In terms of architecture, it is the most important Byzantine church of Messenia. It comprises two adjoined buildings, the church and a structure to the west. The church is of the composite, octagonal domed type, distinguished by the careful "cloisonne" masonry, decorated with large stone crosses on the lower sections of the walls. The facades are plain, with very poor brick and sculpture ornaments. Few fragments of wall paintings, dated to the 12th century, are preserved inside the church.
  During the Medieval period, the church was the Cathedral of the metropolitan bishopric of Christianoupolis, which was established at the end of the 11th century. The building attached to the west of the church was used as an episcopal palace and possibly as a defensive tower in the Late Byzantine period.
  The monument is dated to the 11th or, most likely, to the 12th century A.D. The monument was half-ruined and restored to its present form in 1951. Today it functions as a parish church.
  Near the site of Christianoi, the following monuments are worth visiting:
•the traditional settlement of Kyparissia with the important castle called "Arcadia", built during the Byzantine period,
•the small churches of Analepsis (13th century), St. George Bourianon (17th century) and Panaghia Vlacherna (first half of the 19th century) at Philiatra.
Church of the Metamorphosis at Christianoi
  In terms of architecture it is the most important Byzantine church of Messinia.
  It includes two buildings; the church and the adjoining to it building.
  The church is of the compound octagonal type and it is characterised by carefully constructed walls (brickenclosed system with big stone crosses on the lower part of the long walls) as well as the austerity of its appearance (limited ceramic and sculptured decoration).
  In the interior, few frescos are saved which date back to the 12th century.
  During the Byzantine Years it constitutes the cathedral of the Metropolis Christianoupolis which was founded at the end of the 11th century and was dedicated to the Transformation of our Saviour.
  The additional structure in the west of the church was used as an episcopal manor and probably - in the late Byzantine period(1204-1460) - as a defensive turret.
  The monument dates back to the 11th or - according to the most - the 12th century and it is used today as a church.

This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.

http://www.na-messinia.gr/docs-en/n-xristianon.htm... English Greek

CHRYSSAFA (Village) THERAPNES

The region features a tremendous variety of churches many of which have remarkable wall-painting (frescos) of Byzantine or post-Byzantine periods. Situated in the village are the churches of Agiou Dimitriou (Saint Dimitrios), Koimiseos tis Theotokou and of Agiou Nikolaou (Saint Nikolaos). On the south of the village there is the church of Panagia I Xrisafitissa (Madonna of Chrysafa) dating back to 1293. Near this church you can also find the beautiful Byzantine church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos (St John the Baptist).

DEMONIA (Village) ASSOPOS

Pamnagia Myrtidiotissa & Saint Panteleimon
There are two churches at the Municipal District of Demonia, the old church and the recent one, which celebrate on 24 September with a similar traditional local feast. The most recent church celebrates also on Agios Panteleimonas on 27th July.
Municipality of Assopos WebPage
http://www.asopos.gr/ekklisiesUK2.htm (2 img.) English Greek

DERMATIANIKA (Village) VOION

Triune Church
Agios Dimitrios, Profitis Elias and Agios Kyprianos Church.

DIROS (Village) ITYLO

Church of Taxiarchis Glezou
http://www.laconia.org/grkversion/diros_tax_glezou... (2 img.) Greek
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/dtax/dran_taxiarh... (4 img.) Greek
Agios Petros at Glezou
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/daipetros/dran_ag... (5 img.) Greek

DOLI (Village) AVIA

St. Paraskevi
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/exomani/ekkl_exo_... (1 img.) Greekhttp://www.mani.org.gr/horia/davias/doloi/ekkl/dol... (5 img.) Greek
Agios Vassilios
http://www.mani.org.gr/horia/davias/doloi/ekkl/dol... (1 img.) Greek
St. Nikitas
http://www.mani.org.gr/horia/davias/doloi/ekkl/dol... (6 img.) Greek

ELLINOEKLISSIA (Village) ANDROUSSA

The church of Samarina
The church of Samarina of the Holy Mary the Egyptian is celebrated today in the name of the Zoedochou Pigi (Virgin Mary) and is Knowh with the popular name Samarina. It is situated near the village Ellinoklisia (=Greek Church) or Samari and was subject to the byzantine episcopacy of Androusa. As a building it dates back to the end of the 12th and the beginning of the 13th century, about 1200 A.D. according to local tradition. According to one version it was built on the ruins of an older, idolatrons temple dedicated to the goddess rea. The shape of the church itself is cross-like while its dome is decorated with bricks and supported on two pillars and on the dies of the iconostasis. The four props of the arch, which bring the dome closer to the Holy Altar, while the architectural influence on the domed hemispheres is clearly from Konstantinopole.

This extract is cited Jan 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains images.

http://www.na-messinia.gr/docs-en/n-samarinas.htm English Greek

EPIDAVROS (Municipality) ARGOLIS

Saint Ioannis of Theologos
This built in the 11th century. The icons in the first stage and the sound vessels preserved until today, in straight line and in normal distances, bear witness to the beauty of these monuments. Older, at the East side of the shell of the sanctum, there was a wooden gong and a bell whose sound could be heard far away, as far as Aegina.
Municipality of Epidavros WebPage
http://www.epidavros.cc/english/sites/stioannis.ht... (1 img.) English Greek
St. Michael of Sinadon
According to the estimations of some people, the graphic and remarkable Christian monument is a building of the 13th century. The temple gives the impression of a small church, but if someone enters in, he will realize the wealth of the icons around the walls.
Municipality of Epidavros WebPage
http://www.epidavros.cc/english/sites/stmichael.ht... English Greek

EPISKOPI (Village) TEGEA

Church of Episkopi in Tegea
Page of Arcadia website
http://arcadia.ceid.upatras.gr/arkadia/monchu/naoe... (4 img.) Greek

ERIMOS (Settlement) ITYLO

Church of Saint Barbara
  The church, built in the 12th century, is of the two-column, cross-in-square type with an "Athenian" dome and a narthex. The walls are carefully built with the "cloisonne" masonry, and are richly decorated with ornamental brick bands and sculptures over the windows. An arched bell-tower was later added and in its masonry the sculptures of the older iconostasis were used. The interior of the church is covered with plaster but wall paintings of the post-Byzantine period are preserved on the north wall and the apse.
  Restoration work at the foundations of the church revealed an ossuary outside the external SE corner, and a water cistern close to the south wall. Since 1992 the 5th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities has replaced the tiles of the roof and has repaired the stone masonry and the decorative elements of the church.
  The area of Erimos is rich in Byzantine monuments, including the churches of the Taxiarches (Archangels) at Kouloumi (13th century), of St. John at the settlement of Mina (Byzantine period), the church of Aghia Soulani and many more.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.

Hellenic Ministry of Culture WebPage
http://www.culture.gr/2/21/212/21205n/e212en01.htm... English Greek
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/dagvar/dran_agiav... (1 img.) Greek

ERMIONI (Small town) ARGOLIS

Church of Agioi Taxiarchoi
  The Metropolis of the city - a historic Byzantine church dating back to the 16th century - is built precisely on the same site as the ancient Temple of Demeter, the goddess of agricultural fertility, as it is suggested by the big foundation stones and the Ancient Wall extending to the north. It was at this place that the proxies of the Third National Assembly took oath.
This text is cited March 2004 from the Municipality of Ermioni tourist pamphlet.

EVROSTINA (Village) CORINTHIA

Agios Georgios Zacholis
http://www.evrostini.gr/gr/main/manicipal_region/e... (1 img.) Greek

FINIKI (Village) ASSOPOS

Saint Nikolaos
Stone church over Finiki in a woodland area near the legendary "Secret School" with unlimited view of the Lakonesean Golf and the plain of Asopos. Ideal place for palmers and hikers
Municipality of Assopos WebPage
http://www.asopos.gr/ekklisiesUK6.htm (1 img.) English Greek

FRAGOULIAS (Settlement) ITYLO

Ai Petrakis
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/daipetr/dran_aipe... (1 img.) Greek

GARGALIANI (Small town) MESSINIA

Virgin Mary
This is a historical church in the central square of Gargaliani, the foundations of it were laid during the Venetian era in the 17th century and was completed at the beginning of the 18th century. Makrigiannis went to Mass in this church in 1825 before he set off for Navarino. In the church you can still see Ibrahem's sword cuts when he ransacked the town.
Municipality of Gargaliani WebPage
http://www.gargaliani.gr/english/7cen.htm (1 img.) English Greek

GORITSA (Village) THERAPNES

The church of Taxiarches
Situated in the area of Zaneika. The church has cruciform style roofing, with Byzantine decorations, which is dated back to the end of the 13th century.
Church Agiou Ioannou Prodromou
The church of Agiou Ioannou Prodromou (St. John the Baptist), which is a single aisle church, again with cruciform style roofing, and a wall painting (fresco) Holly Altar.

GORTYS (Ancient city) ARCADIA

Agios Andreas church & Ancient Gortyna
http://www.trikolonon.gr/guidegortina.htm (1 img.) Greek
Page of Arcadia website
http://arcadia.ceid.upatras.gr/arkadia/monchu/naog... (4 img.) Greek

HERAION (Ancient sanctuary) LOUTRAKI-PERACHORA

St Nicholas at the Heraion
  There are three churches in the vicinity of the Heraion: those of St Nicholas, of St John in the archaeological site, and of the Transfiguration of Our Lord near Vouliagmeni lake. The church of St Nicholas was built some 200 years ago on a natural acropolis to the east of the harbor which once sewed the Heraion. It is a single-aisled basilica with a vaulted roof whose middle sanctuary apse is within a huge rock. There is a feature of interest on the west side of the exterior: a window that also serves as a gun-slit and bears an elaborate ornament that originated in some Early Christian church.
Municipality of Loutraki Perachora WebPage
http://www.city-of-loutraki.gr/byzantine/st_nichol... (1 img.) English

ITYLO (Village) LACONIA

Mani.org WebPage
http://www.mani.org.gr/horia/doitilou/oitilo/ekkl/... (13 img.) Greek

KAFIONA (Settlement) ITYLO

Agii Theodori
Municipality of Oitylo WebPage
http://www.dimosoitilou.gr/gr/dd/drialos/theod/the... (8 img.) Mani.org WebPage
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/ag_theodoroi/theo... (8 img.)

KALAMATA (Town) MESSINIA

Historical church of Agii Apostoli
In this church the revolted greek people took the first oath and composed the Declaration of the Messenian Senate, on March, 23 March 1821.

KALOGERORACHI (Village) ANDROUSSA

Byzantine church of the Samarina Monastery, 12th c

KALONI (Village) THERAPNES

Agios Nikolaos (St. Nikolaos)
Near the village of Kalloni you can find a church dedicated to Agio Nikolao (St. Nikolaos). The repairs that have been undertaken in recent times have altered somewhat the main construction, nevertheless the church maintains even today various elements of the Byzantine period.

KARDAMYLI (Port) KALAMATA

Agios Spyridon
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/exomani/ekkl_exo_... (1 img.) Greek

KARITSA (Village) GERONTHRI

Agios Konstandinos
  Just above Vraho tou Bey, between Toundeiko Roumani and the cemetery, the chapel of Agios Konstandinos looks over Evangelistria. This tiny chapel for many years, until around 1920, was the main church of the village. It is thought that it was consecrated in 1861 but an inscription above the entrance is indistinguishable and the digits not easily read, so we cannot be certain.
  In the years following the establishment of Evangelistria as patron saint of the village, the chapel of Agios Konstandinos deteriorated to the extent that the slate-covered-roof threatened to collapse. Fortunately in the early sixties papa-Anastasis took the initiative to mend the tiny chapel replacing the slate with a new concrete roof, plastering the inner walls and rendering the outside. In 1992 an Australian Karitsioti, Yannis Tsolomitis, layered the yard of Agios Konstandinos with concrete.
  According to local folklore in earlier days on this site stood another church, Agia Paraskevi, which was the first patron saint of the village. Sometime in the 1800s that church was completely gutted by fire but when it was rebuilt, for some unknown reason it was renamed Agios Konstandinos. Some disquiet at times is still expressed about that change.
  Agios Konstandinos is solemnised on 21 May. On that day mass is held at the chapel in the morning and a village festival at the kafenio in the evening.
WebPage of Dimitris Katsambis
http://karitsa.tripod.com/english/churches.html (1 img.) English Greek
Agios Yannis
  From some 200 metres below the summit of Elatias the chapel of Agios Yannis looks out over Karitsa. According to an inscription on a stone above the chapel sanctuary "construction was funded by H Malavazos in 1869". Another inscription above the entrance refers to 1899. Perhaps the chapel on top of the mountain was renovated in that year. Agios Yannis or "Ayianniou" is celebrated on 29 August. The village festival of the year, a two-day affair, is held on the eve of Ayianniou and on the day itself. Many Karitsiotes from other parts of Greece as well as from overseas are keen to be in the village for the festival. On the morning of 29 August most villagers will trek their way up the slopes of Elatias for mass at Agios Yannis and then come down to continue the festival in the village square during the afternoon, evening and early hours of the following morning.
WebPage of Dimitris Katsambis
http://karitsa.tripod.com/english/churches.html (1 img.) English Greek
Agios Nikolas
  This beautiful little church is found on the main road, just when it is about to begin its steep winding climb on the way to the village. An inscription above the entrance indicates the chapel was consecrated or renovated in 1896. Interestingly in 1956, when the area was been dug up to build a motor road, many human bones were uncovered close to this tiny church. Villagers believe this marks the site of an old cemetery, very likely when the village was sited at Agios Thanasis. The sides of the graves are built from local slate in a similar way to that attributed to very olden days. Mass is held in this chapel only once a year on December 6.
WebPage of Dimitris Katsambis
http://karitsa.tripod.com/english/churches.html (1 img.) English Greek
Agia Kiriaki
  Agia Kiriaki is built close to the very old water well, Plati Pigadi. It is celebrated on 7 July when many worshipers come down from the village for mass. This is followed by a village festival in the afternoon and evening.
WebPage of Dimitris Katsambis
http://karitsa.tripod.com/english/churches.html (1 img.) English Greek
Agios Dimitris
  Agios Dimitris, a very tiny chapel, is found near the ruins of the old settlement and the ancient water-pit (sterna) in Sternitsa. It was built by the mother of papa-Anastasi in memory of the ruined chapel, Agios Dimitris, at the old settlement of Sternitsa. It is celebrated on 26 October.
WebPage of Dimitris Katsambis
http://karitsa.tripod.com/english/churches.html (1 img.) English Greek

KARYES (Village) LAKEDEMONA

St. Paraskevi
Community of Karyes WebPage
http://www.karyes.gr/AG%20PARASKEVH.htm (3 img.) Greek
St. Andreas
Community of Caryes WebPage
http://www.karyes.gr/AG%20ANDREAS.htm (1 img.) Greek
The Assumption of the Virgin Mary
Community of Karyes WebPage
http://www.karyes.gr/PANAGIA.htm (2 img.) Greek

KARYTENA (Village) GORTYS

Church of Agios Nikolaos in Karitena
Page of Arcadia website
http://arcadia.ceid.upatras.gr/arkadia/monchu/naon... (1 img.) Greek
Municipality of Gortys WebPage
http://www.gortynos.gr/attr_agnikolaos.htm (1 img.) Greek
Church of Zoodochos Pigi
Page of Arcadia website
http://arcadia.ceid.upatras.gr/arkadia/monchu/naoz... (1 img.) Greek

KASTANIA (Village) LEFKTRA

Agios Petros
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/exomani/ekkl_exo_... (1 img.) Greek
Agios Ioannis
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/kas_agioan/kast_a... (7 img.) Greek

KATO GARDENITSA (Settlement) ITYLO

Soter of Gardenitsa
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/dsot/dran_sotiras... (5 img.) Greek

KEFALAS (Village) THERAPNES

Zoodochou Pigi
There are numerous chapels that can be visited in the area. In the village main square you can find the church of Zoodochou Pigi, which celebrates after Easter and on the 20th of July.
Municipality of Therapnes WebPage
http://www.therapnai.gr/images/photo_naos_zoodocho... (1 img.)

KITA (Village) ITYLO

Sts Sergius & Bakchus
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/dtroul/dran_koita... (1 img.) Greek

KORONI (Small town) MESSINIA

Blessed Virgin Mary the Merciful
  In the lower part of the castle and on the southwest part and in a grove consisting of pines and palm trees the church of the miraculous Blessed Virgin Mary the Merciful is built in the place of the «findings».
  According to local tradition, an old lady, Maria Stathaki used to have dreams of the Blessed Virgin Mary leading her to the place of the «findings». In 1897, there was an excavation on that site where three statuettes of excellent artistic value and expression were found; that of the Crucified, the Blessed Vergin Mary and the Evangelist Loukas.
  In the lower part of the church and in the crack of the huge rock where the statuettes were found there is a chapel which is called «EVRESIS» (=finding) while in the same place of the grove there is the room where the findings of the area are exhibited as well as the bust of the bishop Gregory Bisti and the metropolitan Daskalakis.
  The church celebrates on the Friday after Easter, the Source of life,when a host of people go there from all over Messinia and the surrounding area and constitutes one of the most splendid religious celebrations in Messinia.

This text is cited Jan 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.

http://www.na-messinia.gr/docs-en/t2c.htm (1 img.) English Greek

KRISSA (Settlement) ASSOPOS

The Assumption of the Virgin
Complete arch-covered temple, which preserves wall paintings of the 14th century and has been declared as a historic landmark memorial. It celebrates on 23rd August, a celebration of the Assumption of Virgin Mary. It is situated at the location of krisa, county in which the legislation of 1936 has enacted the local trade fair from 1st until 8th September, which operates till today with great success.
Municipality of Assopos WebPage
http://www.asopos.gr/ekklisiesUK4.htm (1 img.) English Greek
Trinity
Newly built church at the area of krisa Finiki.
Municipality of Assopos WebPage
http://www.asopos.gr/ekklisiesUK6.htm (1 img.) English Greek

LABENA (Village) ITHOMI

The belfry of Agios Geogrios at Ano Labena
  According to its engraved inscription, it was built in 1865 and signifies an innovation as far as church architecture is concerned. This innovation was first observed in Thessaloniki after the Hati Houmayioun Treaty was signed in 1856. Regarding its form, a square small tower with a cross on top accords with the arch of the three-winged basilica of Ayios Geogrios, an element related to religious beliefs as well as national ideals. Such an element favours the arrival of neobyzantinism, which eliminates memories from the Turkish occupation and introduces a monumental style of a symbolic nature.
This text is cited April 2003 from the Municipality of Ithomi tourist pamphlet.

LEONTARI (Village) FALESSIA

Church of the Holy Apostles at Leontarion
Tel: +30 27910 22021
  The church is a combination of two architectural types: it is a three-aisled basilica on the ground floor, and a cross-vaulted church on the upper floor, of the composite, four columned type, with five domes. The central east apse is five-sided while the two lateral ones are semihexagonal. To the west is a two-storeyed, domed narthex, richly decorated with wall paintings of the Palaeologan art of the 14th century. The good quality frescoes are today partly covered by a later plaster.
  The restoration of the monument was carried out in 1972 and the roof tiles were replaced in 1990. Work for the restoration and cleaning of the wall paintings has also been undertaken. Today it is the parish church of the village.
  The area of Leontarion is full of remains of the Byzantine period, which indicate that it was of great importance to the Despotate of Moreas. Other Byzantine monuments to be seen in the area are: the Castle of Leontarion, the church of St. Athanase (14th century), of the Taxiarchs, of Aghioi Pantes (14th century), of St. George, of Prophet Elias, of St. John as well as many abandoned monuments: the Monastery of St. Nicholas, the churches of St. Basil, of St. Kyriaki and of the Transfiguration of Christ.
Agii Apostoli Church at Leontari
Page of Arcadia website
http://arcadia.ceid.upatras.gr/arkadia/monchu/naoa... (2 img.) Greek

LOUTRAKI (Town) CORINTHIA

Church of Our Lady "tou Prathi"
  Our Lady “tou Prathi” is one of the most important Byzantine monuments in the Loutraki area. It lies 20 km. from Loutraki, at an altitude of 1,150 metres on an idyllic plateau in the Geraneia mountains, surrounded by pine-trees and firs. Once there was a wealthy coenobitic monastery on the same site; its history is recorded from the Byzantine period to 1821. Of that original foundation, traces of some cells and storerooms have survived, along with the catholicon, which dates from the eleventh century. It was dedicated to Our Lady “Phaneromene”, but it is popularly known as Our Lady “tou Prathi”. The church is most notable for its excellent wall paintings, in the Byzantine style and on Biblical themes. On the right-hand door of the sanctuary is a plaque recording that the wall paintings were executed in 1466.
  Another church, dedicated to the Dormition of Our Lady, was built at a later date a few meters to the north of the old catholicon. This is a notably well-constructed three-aisled basilica with a dome. The enchanting natural setting of the two churches and their wealth of history make a visit to the site unforgettable.
Municipality of Loutraki Perachora WebPage
http://www.city-of-loutraki.gr/byzantine/our_lady_... (1 img.) English
Church of St. John The Baptist
  In the center of the city of Loutraki is the impressive and peaceful Cathedral dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. An earthquake destroyed the first building, which was founded on February 1st 1886. The present Church was built in the same place in 1933 and founded by His Reverence Metropolite Damaskinos on April 10, 1933.
  The style of the church based on a study of Orlando, is a three-aisle basilica with its middle aisle raised in order to obtain plenty and natural sunlight. The yard is beautifully taken care of and artistically planted. In the N.W. of the church stands the Campanile with a built-in staircase. The hagiography is exceptional and according to Byzantine style. This can be seen in the masterpiece of The Most Holy Virgin Mother in the middle niche of the sanctuary, dated prior to 1930s. In the church there are some portable holy icons and delicated wood-carved holy icon-stands of Saint John the Baptist and Osios Patapios.
  The commemoration of Saint John The Baptist is devoutly celebrated on August 29 of each year.
Municipality of Loutraki Perachora WebPage
http://www.city-of-loutraki.gr/byzantine/saint_joh... (1 img.) English
Church of Our Lady Yatrissa
  In the center of Loutraki stands the imposing church of Our Lady, an unshakeable pillar of the faith of the Ιοcal people. Inside is kept a miraculous icon of Our Lady, with an interesting history and origins.
  The icon once belonged to a lady called Maria who was visiting continuously Loutraki on her holidays in the 1920s. She stayed in the house of an old lady called Maria Sokou - the two women had become friends- to whom she gave an icon of Our Lady, which she had brought to Greece from Jerusalem. The icon, measuring 57 cm. by 49 cm., shows Our Lady as a young woman, holding the divine infant. The donor of the icon died ­as she had predicted - three weeks later, but Maria Sokou kept the precious gift, which had the property of instilling hope and consolation in all those who sought the succor of Our Lady: Countless miracles were attributed to the icon, and its renown soon spread beyond Loutraki. In 1928, the foundations were laid to the first church dedicated to Our Lady in which the icon was housed, but it soon proved too small for the hosts of pilgrims and thus a new and larger church was built in 1960.
  The new church, which we see today, is a three-aisled basilica with an octagonal dome. There are the wooden screen and the carved wooden iconostasis from the church of 1928, and the paintings are the work of Κ. Yeorgakopoulos and D. Soukaras (1966). The church of Our Lady “Yatrissa” holds its feast on 8 September; on the previous day, the icon was carried in procession round the town, with the participation of ecclesiastical, civil and military authorities from all over Greece.
Municipality of Loutraki Perachora WebPage
http://www.city-of-loutraki.gr/byzantine/our_lady_... (1 img.) English
Church of Agios Fanourios
  In the east of the city of Loutraki, on the foot of the Gerania mountain, is the imposingly serene and of double hypostases holy church of Agios Fanourios and Apostle Kosmas Etolos.
  The commemoration of the Saints is devoutly celebrated on August 24 & August 27 respectively every year.
  The church was built in 1968 on the foundations of another smaller church and was consecrated by His Reverence Metropolite Panteleimona on July 31, 1969. It is built with a double casted tiled roof and an eight-sided dome with a single foiled window on each side.
  The courtyard, in the west, is nicely planted and in the north stands the imperial Campanile adjoined to the main temple with an arched pilar shed.
  The inside walls are beautifully detailed with Saints and Byzantine Signs. Of ­special interest is the hagiography in the inner dome, of Pantocrator.
  A fine oratory dedicated to Agios Prokopios has been recently added, in the north of the church.
Municipality of Loutraki Perachora WebPage
http://www.city-of-loutraki.gr/byzantine/agios_fan... (1 img.) English
Church of St. Andrew
  The church of St Andrew, in Loutraki itself, is the most prominent feature in the old spa town. It was built in 1345 by the Byzantine Emperor John VI Kantakouzenos in commemoration of the persecution of St Andrew. The bearing structure of the church was seriously damaged by the earthquake of 1981, and has had to be supported. However, the repair work is scheduled to be completed soon, and the church will be restored to its original form.
  St Andrew has all the features typical of Byzantine churches. It is a three-aisled basilica with a dome resting on a cylindrical drum, a tripartite sanctuary and an interesting stone-built screen. According to the local people, its walls were once covered with paintings, but these have disappeared. On the north side of the precinct, some steps lead down to a cave in which St Andrew took refuge from the Roman soldiers who were pursuing him. According to tradition, after he had entered the cave a thick spider’s web covered its entrance so that the saint’s pursuers could not see where he had gone.


Municipality of Loutraki Perachora WebPage
http://www.city-of-loutraki.gr/byzantine/st_andrew... (1 img.) English
Church of St George
  The picturesque chapel of St George stands a short way outside Loutraki, on the road leading to Perachora. It was built in 1938 and has an elegant porch and a tiled pitched roof. There is an excellent view of the Gulf of Corinth from the vicinity of the chapel.
Municipality of Loutraki Perachora WebPage
http://www.city-of-loutraki.gr/byzantine/st_george... (1 img.) English
Church of St. Paraskeve
  As we follow the beautiful route to Preacher and enjoy the fine view out across the Gulf of Corinth, we come to the attractive church of St Paraskevi, 6 km. from Loutraki. The first church on the site was built in 1952; this standing there today, was built after the earthquake of 1981, and is a single-aisled structure with a vaulted roof.
Municipality of Loutraki Perachora WebPage
http://www.city-of-loutraki.gr/byzantine/st_parask... (1 img.) English

LYGOURIO (Small town) ASKLIPIIO

Church of Aghios Ioannis Eleimon
  The church is of the octagonal, two-column, cross-in-square type, and was built in the 12th century A.D. The semi-hexagonal apse dominates the east side, and a narthex was later added on the west. The walls are built in the careless "cloisonne" masonry on the upper part and of rubble stones (large blocks or ancient spolia) with limited use of brick ornaments. Fragments of wall paintings, dated to the 12th century, have survived inside the church. "Sgrafitti" of ships are preserved on the stucco of the wall paintings of the narthex.
   Although the area is full of antiquities dating from the ancient and Byzantine era, neither the church nor the settlement of Lygourio are mentioned in Byzantine and post-Byzantine literary sources. The first reference to the castle of Lygourio dates from the middle of the 15th century. The church might have been the catholicon (main church) of a monastery, a suggestion supported by the remains of Middle-Byzantine walls found in the vicinity, probably belonging to a monastery. The church has been restored and the surrounding area has been remodelled by the 5th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities.
  In Lygourio and the surrounding area, several more important monuments are to be seen:
•the aisless church of St. Athanase, dated to 1622,
•the church of Panaghia, of the four-column, cross-in-square, domed type, built in 1701,
•the domed, cross-in-square church of St. John Theologos, built in the middle of the 11th century,
•the post-Byzantine cross-in-square church of St. Marina, and the single-aisled church of St. Mercourios,
•the catholicon of a destroyed monastery, founded in the early phase of the Turkish occupation.

MALEAS (Cape) LACONIA

Church of Agios Thomas & Agios Myros

MANTINIA (Municipality) ARCADIA

Church of Agia Fotini
Prefecture of Arcadia WebPage
http://www.arcadia.gr/engsh_ver/c5/sc12/default.ht... (1 img.) Greek

MANTINIA (Ancient city) ARCADIA

St. Fotini Church of Mantinia
Page of Arcadia website
http://arcadia.ceid.upatras.gr/arkadia/monchu/naof... (9 img.) Greek

METHONI (Small town) MESSINIA

Agios Onoufrios church
Built in a cave 4kms away from town.

MEZAPOS (Small port) ITYLO

Vlacherna at Mezapos
Mani.org WebPage
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/vlaherna/vlah.htm... (8 img.) Greek
Episkopi
Mani.org WebPage
http://www.mani.org.gr/ekklisies/episkopi/episk.ht... (8 img.) Greek

MYSTRAS (Byzantine settlement) PELOPONISSOS

Agia Sophia
  The church was built in the 14th century by Manuel Cantacuzenus, first Despot of Mystra. In a probable attempt to revive memories of the Constantinopoitan way of life, he have this official palace chapel a name, hallowed by tradition, that would recall the "Great Church" of the capital.
  Here, it is said, were laid the bones of Theodora Tocco, first wife of Constantine Palaelogus; here too, it is believed, was buried Cleopa Malatesta, wife of Theodore Palaelogos.
  The architectural style of St. Sophia - distyle cruciform crowned by a dome - is similar to that of the Evanghelistria.
  The narthex, crowned by a large dome, is unusually large in relation to the main naos. On the north side, from which the visitor now enters the church, there is a portico, and chapels have been built in the four angles of the church. The elegant silhouette of the belfry rises at the west end of the portico. During the Turkish occupation, when St. Sophia converted into a mosque, the belfry served as a minaret.
  Only a few of the original frescoes are preserved in the church. The fact that one of these representing Christ, spreads across the sanctuary apse may have given rise to the theory that the church was dedicated to Christ, the Life-Giver, and not, as traditionally believed, to the Holy Wisdom. On a higher level are four angels holding a circular Glory which formed part of a large composition of the Ascension covering the entire surface of the vault in the sanctuary.
  More frescoes are preserved in the two east chapels, one of which is entered from the church, the other from outside. On the walls of the first chapel are depicted Christ, the Nativity of the Virgin above the entrance, and the Divine Liturgy. Nearly all the frescoes in the second chapel are well preserved: the "Virgin Platytera", the Dormition of the Virgin, the Crucifixion, the Descent into the Hell, the Pantocrator and the Heavenly Powers.
  Fragments of sculptural decoration, including the Monorgan of Manuel Cantacuzenus, the founder, and the Double-Headed Eagle of the Paleologoi are preserved on the capital of a column. The words Despotis and Cantacouzinos, are inscribed in abbreviated form on the capitals of two marble pilasters near the narthex. Outside, a few meters beyond the present entrance to the church, two round holes in the ground indicate the position of a large underground cistern in which water was preserved for the needs of the Monastery, Running water, flowing in pipes from the opposite side of the Mountain, which is very fertile, only reached the level of the Palace. Higher up, in the direction of the Castle, there are neither remains nor traces of a single fountain, other than cisterns for preserving rain water.
  The elegant oblong building with numerous apertures and apses near the north-west of the belfry was the refectory of the Monastery. Full length figures of saints which decorated all the apses and apertures of the edifice can still be distinguished.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Laconian Professionals URL below, which contains images.

http://www.laconia.org/Mystra1_Agia_Sophia.htm (2 img.) English
Evanghelistria
  Few facts regarding the history of the church, which must have been built in the 14th or 15th century, have come down to us.
  The proportions are pleasing, and there are some beautiful brick revetments, especially on the exterior wall of the sanctuary. Architecturally, the Evanghelistria is distyly cruciform, like the Peribleptos and St. Sophia. Judging form fragments of frescoes, on must conclude that the church was decorated in the 15th century, with the exception of the "iconostassis" which is adorned with inferior paintings of the late 19th. On the other hand, the sculptural decoration is not without interest, its unity of style indicating that all the sculptures were carved for this church itself, instead of what we see in the other churches of Mystra. The capitals, the door-surround of the "Beautiful Gate" and the inner entrance to the church are characteristic specimens of this form of sculpture.
  Behind the church other buildings have been added to the main edifice. The stairway leading to the women's balcony, the roof of which no longer survives was here.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Laconian Professionals URL below, which contains image.

http://www.laconia.org/Mystra1_evagelistria.htm (1 img.) English
Pantanassa
  Build in the 15th century (1428), by John Phrangopoulos, the Pantanassa was the last edifice to be raised during the Despotate, and it provides an example of a harmonious conflation of the various styles of church architecture fashionable at Mystra into a single unity.
  Architecturally, the Pantanassa resembles the Aphendiko and the Metropolis: basilica type below, cruciform with domes on the upper storey.
  Two porticoes, one (preserved intact) overlooking the valley of the Eurotas, another outside the narthex, and of which only traces of the base of the wall survive, provided a felicitous harmony to the church's numerous architectural volumes. These porticoes, a popular feature of ecclesiastical architecture at Mystra, although of Constantipolitan origin, were adapted with such a sound sense of both calculation and fantasy to the difficulties inherent in the configuration of the ground that they succeeded, in conformity with the space available, in achieving a most original and aesthetically satisfying equipoise to the various architectural volumes. In the north-west corner a superb four-storied belfry with foundations in the court, and whose lowest storey contains a chapel .surmounts the whole complex of buildings. The two upper stories of the belfry have large pointed arches of Gothic influence with "tympana" decorated with threefold apertures on all four sides. Unmistakable indicators of Western artistic influences are apparent in whole construction; the melon shaped cupola the turrets on the summit, the small windows with a cupola trefoil design above the colonnade.
  Different artistic styles are also evident in the expert and lavish exterior decoration of the sanctuary, which is divided into three zones. The upper zone, embellished with brickwork decoration,is indeed completely Byzantine. if not Constantinopolitan, in style; The middle one, late Gothic in style, is decorated with small pointed arches and stone-wrought garlands adorned with blooms; the lower one is plain and unadorned.
  The church which, apart from the dome, has remained intact, unharmed by the ravages of time, possesses frescoes in a relatively good state of preservation.
  From the women's gallery upwards, the paintings are of the Byzantine period, contemporary with the actual foundation of the church. The most characteristic works are the "Virgin Platytera" in the sanctuary and, on a higher level the Ascension which spreads across the entire vault of the sanctuary. In the curved expanse of the east arm of the cross which circumscribes the base of the dome are depicted the Entry to Jerusalem and the Descent into Hell, which is in a women's gallery are representations of the Annunciation on the left, the Nativity on the right.
  The Presentation in the Temple and a somewhat damaged Baptism spread across the west vault near the narthex. In the north vault are depictions of the Transfiguration and the Raising of Lazarus. The little domes and walls of the women's gallery are decorated with fairly well preserved figures of prophets.
  The frescoes on the upper register are the last representative works of Byzantine art, which, although "now approaching its twilight", still possessed sufficiently dynamic potentialities to "create new styles" and raise "pretty little Churches". These frescoes are distinguished by a wide range of lavish colour - combinations unique in Byzantine art, by the number of figures depicted in the compositions, by the crowded architectural detail with numerous edifices filling in the background of the various scenes, and, above by a tendency to reproduce a human form which corresponded physically to the setting in which it was placed.
  On the south side of the narthex is the tomb of Manuel Hadzikis, a Byzantine notable of Mystra, who is depicted on the wall in an attitude of prayer.
  Tradition has it that the bones of Theodora Tocco, first wife of Constantine Palaelogous, were lain in the Pantanassa. On the other hand, the historian Phratzis records that her mortal remains were buried in 1429 in the Monastery of the Life-Giver, that is to say, St. Sophia.
  The hospitable nuns of the Pantanassa, who charm the visitors with their civility and kindness, are the last remaining inhabitants of the ruined city, destined to play the dual role of survivors and guardians of the Byzantine tradition.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Laconian Professionals URL below, which contains images.

http://www.laconia.org/Mystra1_Pantanassa.htm (3 img.) English
Peribleptos
  A bas-relief with a design of two upright heraldic lions on either side of the monogram of the Peribleptos surmounts the arched entrance of the peribolus of the Monastery. Little is known of either the history of the church or of its founder. There are only two indications: one of a representation of a man and woman, doubtless the founders, offering a model of the church to the Virgin, on the tympanum of the blind arch of the drum on the west wall of the lower storey, below the depiction of the Descent into Hell: the other consists of the name of Byzantine notable, Leon Mavropappas, inscribed above the outer entrance of the adjacent narthex which is of a later date.
  Two buildings of the original monastery survive: the church with its chapels, and the refectory, a tower-like edifice with distinct Frankish features, situated on the north side of the peribolous. Architecturally the Peribleptos belongs to the type of distyle cruciform church in which the dome is supported by two columns and two engaged pilasters embedded in the walls of the sanctuary. Certain individual architectural features, however, result from a projection of rock and the general configuration of the ground. The main entrance, for instance, is on the north, instead of the west, side and the shape of the church is not, as usual, rectangular. Later, two small chapels, constructed in the cloissone stonewalling method, were added on the east side. An impression of a church that does not rest on the ground but is somehow borne in mid-air is thus created.
  The Peribleptos possesses the most lavish and best preserved painted decoration at Mystra. The frescoes, cleaned in 1962, are dated to the mid 14th century. The walls of the Prothesis immediately left of entrance, are decorated with a magnificent Divine Liturgy, one of the finest frescoes in the whole of Mystra. A meticulous attention to rhythm, which seems to create the effect of a serene other-worldliness, emphasizes the whole composition, which is rendered particularly striking by the uniform angularities of the movements of the figures in the divine procession. The Virgin Platytera is depicted in the ape of the sanctuary. Higher up, the entire vault is covered with a representation of the Ascension, with four superb angels surrounding Christ.
  On the two walls below are depicted scenes from the Holy Communion.
  On the upper part of the apse of the Diaconicon there is a marvelously preserved Sleeping Christ, in the left vault the Denial of Peter and the Road to Calvary and the Crucifixion. In the vaults surrounding the dome unfold scenes from the Dodekaorton .
  In the east vault are representations of the Transfiguration and the Raising of Lazarus, and right of the Last Supper and the Entry into Jerusalem; in the north vault Pentecost and the Incredulity of Thomas.
  Alone among the churches of Mystra the Peribleptos preserves frescoes in the dome; a grandiose pantocrator which occupies a small sector in the center. while the remaining surface each containing a Cherubim at the top and a pair of Prophets below, the Virgin flanked by two Angels and directly opposite, the Preparation of the Throne. There are also full-length figures of prophets around the tympana of the windows.
  Scenes of the Passion cover the walls of the church. Among the most beautiful are the Descent from the Cross on the south wall and the Descent into Hell on the west wall above the fresco of the founders.
  The life of the Virgin is lavishly illustrated in a band which girdles almost the entire church. The finest of these scenes is the grandiose Dormition on the north wall, immediately above the entrance. On a lower level full-length life-size figures of military saints, angels, prophets and bishops are depicted on pilasters, arches and the remaining expanses of wall-space. The border tendencies which distinguished the painted decoration of the Aphendiko are less evident here. The conservative spirit which prevailed in mid-14th century Byzantium under the Cantacuzenus dynasty seems to have influenced the creative are of the period. The world-famous frescoes of the Peribleptos, while bearing a remarkable resemblance to the detailed work characteristic of portative icons, also foreshadowed the so-called Cretan School which was to dominate the post-Byzantine period.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Laconian Professionals URL below, which contains images.

http://www.laconia.org/Mystra1_Peribleptos.htm (3 img.) Englishhttp://www.laconia.org/Mystra1_Peribleptos_fotos.h... (2 img.)
St. Christopher
  The church was restored in 1954. Judging from the few surviving frescoes - figures of Apostles on the central arch of the south wall, St. Christopher (of which only the head survives) on a lower above the doorway, and a bishop enthroned on the following tympanum - the church can be dated to the late 14th century. These small chapels, mostly sepulchres, scattered all over the hill of Mystra, served as private churches of distinguished families.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Laconian Professionals URL below, which contains image.

http://www.laconia.org/Mystra1_St_Chistopher.htm (1 img.) English
St. George
  Restored in 1953, this is one of the most characteristic of Mystra's chapels. The south roof, with its attractive brickwork decoration, is particularly interesting. Like other chapels at Mystra, St. George served as a private church, the property of some aristocratic family whose members were buried here.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Laconian Professionals URL below, which contains image.

http://www.laconia.org/Mystra1_St_Chistopher.htm (1 img.) English
The Holy Theodoroi
  The exterior brickwork decoration of the sanctuary is particularly lavish; moreover the cloissonne walling and glazed plaques create a decorative ensemble that harmonizes most felicitously with the architectural disposition of the church. Build in 1295 and restored by Professor Orlandos in 1932, the church belongs to the type of "cruciform octagonal naos ". The dome is thus supported at eight points which form an octagon distinguishable in the ground plan. The church is, in fact, the last extant example of an architectural edifice of this kind - a type fashionable between the 11th and 13th centuries - later in date to the Monastery of Hosios Loukas, Daphi (11th century) and St. Sophia at Monembassia (end 12th century).
  The main feature of this type of church is the large dome crowing a high drum which dominates the whole of the central area of the ground floor and, by reason of its height, compels the worshipper to turn his gaze unwittingly to the point where the Pantocrator reigns glory.
  Of the church's painted decoration there survive some full-length figures of "military saints" which are distinguished by the live-liness and freedom ofmovement of their somewhat realistic attitudes. The style recalls paintings of the Macedonia School.
  Both within and outside the church there are many tombs. The two chapels, added to the western side of the church and entered from the now blocked-in narthex, also served as sepulchres, as well as the Prothesis within the sanctuary where there is the tomb of a certain Manuel Paleologos, according to an inscription accompanying the relevant representation on the wall. On the interior wall above the entrance to the Diaconicon extends the Domition of the Virgin in a relatively good state of preservation, though covered with crystalline deposits.

This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Laconian Professionals URL below, which contains images.

http://www.laconia.org/Mystra1_Holy_Theodory.htm (2 img.) English
Hodeghetria - Aphentiko
http://www.laconia.org/Mystra1_Holy_Hodigitria.htm... (4 img.) English

NAFPLIO (Town) PELOPONISSOS

Temple of Agios Nikolaos, 18th century
Catholic Church
Potamianou and Kapodistriou Street.
Panagitsa (Virgin Mary)
On the west rocks of Akronafplia.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2013 International Publications Ltd.